Built in 1923-25 to designs by Andrew J. Thomas, The Towers is perhaps the most iconic and sought after building in Jackson Heights. It exhibits all the elements which set president for further development of Jackson Heights such as a massive private garden, ornate architectural and sculptural elements such as the iron and glass double doors with fanlights, stone trim at the towers, and celebrated stone griffons flanking its iron gates.
The Towers is a U shaped structure comprised of eight buildings that spans an entire city block on 34th Avenue, with its wings spanning all the way to Northern Blvd. It encases some of the largest apartments in town, complete with fire places, high ceilings, gorgeous hardwood floors, massive windows and more. It has a live in super, laundry facilities, elevators and is pet friendly. And as you would expect based on its prime location, the building is within an striking distance from all local amenities and all forms of transportation including the Roosevelt Avenue Express hub.
The Towers, built in 1923-25 to designs by Andrew J. Thomas, is one of the Queensboro Corporation’s early garden apartment complexes in Jackson Heights. Occupying most of the block, the complex consists of eight freestanding U-shaped buildings, four along each blockfront, which are situated back-toback across a common landscaped garden at the interior of the block. The garden is opens onto 34th Avenue and is clearly visible from the street. The three street fronts around the complex are also lined with gardens and iron fences. The passageways between the buildings are spanned by brick walls and entrance gates.
Each blockfront of four six-story brick buildings with masonry trim is arranged in a “A-B-B-A” pattern. The inner buildings (“B”) are symmetrically massed and have prominent entrances at the center, while the outer buildings (“A”) are asymmetrically massed and have corner towers marking the ends of the complex. The style of the Towers is derived from Italian Romanesque and Renaissance architecture. Particularly suggestive of this inspiration are the palazzo-like massing; the red tile roofs with overhanging eaves; the arcaded sixth-story loggias and tower belvederes (“A”); the round attic-story windows (“A”); and the arched stone entrance surrounds which are either keyed (“A”) or rusticated (“B”) and topped by cartouches. Other notable facets include the iron and glass double doors with fanlights, decorative bandcourses, stone trim at the towers and loggias, balustraded balconettes, and large stone griffons flanking the iron gates leading to the interior garden. The rear facades of the Towers, partially visible from the street, are somewhat plainer than the street facades, but continue some of the design elements. Many original six-over-six wood sash windows survive behind storm sash.
Our Listings/Deals at The Towers